[Users] Issue in need of ideas: Too many folders

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 22:44:03 CET 2012

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 12:27:31 -0500
Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking for ideas...
>
> I've been using SC/CM for over 10 years now and have accumulated a LOT of
> folders (~6.5 screens to scroll through).  So this is now becoming quite
> cumbersome and I was thinking about some possible solutions...  Any coding
> solution should by optional so as not to disrupt other users' experience
> with the best mailer IMO.
>
> My idea is to use a cascading menu toggle (like "Edit->Auto-wrapping")
> where the menu head is each folder's expansion triangle. Each folder
> would have a show/hide toggle -- this would allow only the most
> active/chosen folders to appear in the folder view without having to show
> all the other less active folders which waste display space, resulting in
> wasted time finding a particular one.

Cascading already exists in CM

> Rarely used folders would auto-display when a new messages arrive in them.
>
> May need a "[ ] Never hide folders with unread messages" option too. :)
> I can't think of a reason for hiding all folders, other than not using
> "Default To:" and "Save to..." folder options to compose.
>
> Organized folders only get me so far when opening a branch in the
> current tree which shows lots of less active folders along with the
> desired one(s)...

not sure what you mean here.

> Does this sound like a reasonable idea before I formalize an
> enhancement request?
>
> Other thoughts on overcoming this issue?
>
> Thanks and Cheers,
> Pierre
>
> PS  While I have archived some folders, each time I do, typically within a
> few days something comes up where I need to find something just archived.
> Also, even though I run 2 instances of CM to segregate business/personal
> from collaboration emails, both now suffer from this issue.

Hi Pierre;
Maybe start with cascading sub-folders that are normally closed?  For instance,
I have a folder under MH called User_Groups.  Under that I have a sub-folder
for each user group which in turn contain other sub-folders for various uses.
I normally leave the top folder closed so it doesn't take up so much space,
only opening it when needed.  I use color coding actions for the top folder to
indicate new messages in the sub-folders.

To create a structure that would reduce the number of pages would probably
require some innovative menus as to what sub-folders would go under what top
level folders.  I know I've rearranged my folder structure several times over
the years.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSUSE 11.4 x86_64    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64     openSUSE 12.2-M# x86_64