[Users] Claws Mail 3.8.1 unleashed!!

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Jun 27 18:55:22 CEST 2012

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:31:14 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:58:04 +0100
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> >But what if the server doesn't respond at all to TLS?
>
> Surely, that would be covered by "if TLS doesn't work"?  That is, try
> TLS, wait for response, if there is none after
> $ReasonableAmountOfTime, try SSL.

My comment was to cover the case where the connection goes into a
terminal sulk on the server being asked to STARTTLS.

I can make Dovecot do this if I create a broken SSL certificate chain
deliberately (or indeed accidentally, which is how I discovered it).

Once you've tried to get TLS working that's it and the connection
simply freezes until reset. Connecting again would work, but you would
then need to remember state from the previous connection and
deliberately not initiate TLS on the second attempt.

Not a very clean way of doing it.

--

Brian Morrison