[Users] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Claws config needs much better documentation

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:08:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:54:38 +0530
> Sitaram Chamarty wrote:
>
>> You basically threw up a strawman argument to bolster your contention
>> that the current default is safer when it actually has nothing to do
>> with safety.
>
> Rubbish, you obviously don't understand security.

What I do understand is that you brought in Outlook when we're discussing Claws.

> http://osvdb.org/search?search%5Bvuln_title%5D=png&search%5Btext_type%5D=alltext
> http://osvdb.org/search?search%5Bvuln_title%5D=jpeg&search%5Btext_type%5D=alltext

Are *all* your contacts (friends, family...) smart about this and
immune to malware?  Never received an email supposedly from your
colleague?

One of the viruses (around '98 or so; forget which one), once it hit a
(Windows) user, would look in his mail for suitable subject lines and
addresses and reply with those subject lines to those addresses.
You'll have no reason to suspect it's anything but a genuine email
from someone you know.

> Think of it like someone else deciding what web pages you visit. It is
> not just because of javascript flash and Java that it is constantly
> stated that you should only click on links you trust on websites. This
> is often overlooked because of the extremely low hanging fruit of
> phishing making people believe they are safe as long as they don't
> click on anything within an email.

yeah yeah yeah...