[Users] Mysterious progress bar thumb-twiddler

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 5 16:45:08 CEST 2012

Claws 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Every once in a while, usually just after I've hit Send on a new message,
Claws will become unresponsive.  The compose window will have dimmed buttons
but will still be mapped.  I can't really do anything with it or the main
window, but I know that *something* is going on.

In the main window, down at the lower right (where the off-line icon and
account button is), I'll see a progress bar that shows Claws counting
something, e.g. 25674/39512 with the number on the left increasing as the
progress bar fills to the right.  This will usually take several minutes even
though it's separated from the imap server by a gigabit LAN.

What's going on, and how can I stop Claws from spending so much time on
whatever it is it's doing?

Cheers,
-Barry