[Users] ssl certs continuously changing

richard allen richard6601 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 22:21:56 CET 2012

Hi all,

14-01-2012 New upgrade  installed by the standard automatic Ubuntu
updating call (ie. same fuctions as Synaptic, which now, after upgrade
shows claws-mail version 3.80-1ubuntu1~pp ).  Then got very frequent
"Changed SSL Certificate" warnings when pop from the several gmail
accounts.  When I clicked accept then OK but next time I would often
get a repeat warning.  Screen Capturing the Certificate details showed
that 2 different certificates circulating from Known Certificate to New
Certificate each time I accepted.

Since suspected the claws upgrade I searched web and found:-
<http://www.claws-mail.org/manual/claws-mail-manual.txt> and at
 "6.8. Hidden preferences

   There are a number of hidden preferences in Claws Mail,
   preferences that some users who we wanted to please couldn't
   live without, but which did not have a place in the GUI in our
   opinion. You can find the following, and change them while
   Claws Mail is not running, in ~/.claws-mail/clawsrc."

and in  which I found :
 "unsafe_ssl_certs
          Allows Claws to remember multiple SSL certificates for a
          given server/port. This is disabled by default."

So set to 1 (as was on 0 ) and now all seems OK.

BUT THE OLD CLAWS VERSION BEFORE UPGRADE DID NOT NEED THIS APPARENTLY.

Even so Claws is marvellous I reckon.

OS Ubuntu 10.04 on PC

Richard