[Users] Opening link in Firefox

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jan 12 02:46:50 CET 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:46:59 -0500
Tom Ashley <tomashleyjr at gmail.com> dijo:

>On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:17:02 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>> It used to be that when I clicked on a link in an e-mail it would
>> open the link in a new tab in Firefox. Now it opens the link in the
>> most recently used tab in Firefox, even if that tab is being used for
>> another web page. This means that I have to use the back arrow to get
>> back the previous page that was in that tab, open a new, blank tab,
>> then go back to Claws Mail and click on the link again (or copy and
>> paste) in order to get the link in the new tab.

>Open about:config in browser (firefox) and find this key:
>browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground.  Change setting to true.  Now
>when clicking email link, browser window should open in new tab in
>browser's existing workspace.

That didn't work. But Michael's suggestion to use the Firefox
Preferences window got me most of the way to a solution. By checking
"open in a new tab" the link now opens and loads into a new tab. Oddly,
links within Firefox still opened in a new tab by default, even without
that button checked.

The only thing that is still not working properly is that Firefox is not
shifting focus to the new tab. Although a pretty minor issue, it used
to open the link in a new tab and shift the focus to the new tab.

FWIW, in Claws Mail preferences External Programs, the web browser tab
is set to "firefox '%'." I am wondering if tweaking this might make it
work better.