[Users] reply-template question (again)

wwp subscript at free.fr
Mon Feb 27 10:13:47 CET 2012

Hello Michael,

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:05:34 +0100 Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> In Prefs -> Writing -> Reply, i have
>
> ?ABf{%ABf,}!ABf{%F,}
> %X
> %q
>
> The problem is, if it si a friend, i wanted to reply with first name only. As a rough indicator, friends usually have nickname field in addressbook, or, at least, separate first / last names. With business contacts, i usually don't bother to edit these fields at all.
>
> Thus the reply would look like
>
> Hello Peter # for a friend
>
> and
>
> Dear Mr. President # for someone who's name is like "Homer LVII. President")
>
> So my question is, can i have addressbook completion 'From' but with the first name, or (better) the nickname, if exists, and with last name otherwise ?

You cannot tune the addressbook completion, unless you modify the
contact data itself.

I use a set of custom scripts to determine what's the introducing (Hi
Michael, Hello M. President) and goodbye (Regards, Ciao) politeness
formulae. Those scripts perform a switch/case according to the account
and some few exceptions because some From have inverted 1st/last names,
and are called by the compose/reply templates.

Regards,

--
wwp