[Users] Suggestion: Warning on startup when Filtering-protocol is enabled

Martin Kluge Martin_Kluge at gmx.de
Sat Feb 25 19:08:15 CET 2012

Hello,

I'd like to suggest that claws-mail will give a warning at startup
when protocol-options were enabled during the last session. The
warning should give the posssibility to disable the protocols.

Background: I have an old and heavy claws-mail-installation with
thousands of messages and lots of filtering-rules. For debug-purposes
I enabled the filtering-protocol and obviously forgot to disable it.
This resulted in effect to a claws-mail-denial-of-service when
starting claws-mail the next day. I was unable to use it because it
seemed that claws-mail would never start again (it probably would
have taken hours for cm to start). Unfortunately I had quite some
trouble to find that once again I myself was the culprit and that I
simply had to edit ./claws-mail/clawsrc to deactivate the
filtering-option.

So to help others not to run in similar problems I'd like to suggest
claws-mail to become more graceful to thoughtless users like me in
this regard.

Of course I don't want to close this message without giving thanks to
the claws-mail-developers. For years now ever since I switched to
linux I use sylpheed / sylpheed-claws / claws-mail and saw it grow to
it's present state. Thank you very much for your effort!

Kind regards,
Martin

Martin Kluge - Martin_Kluge at gmx.de