[Users] randomly parts of claws configuration get corrupted

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Tue Feb 14 21:16:09 CET 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:05:55 +0100 Hanno Böck wrote:

>Am Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:40:04 -0500
>schrieb Pierre Fortin <pf at pfortin.com>:
>
>> If you've been seeing this for a while, I'd be suspecting [a bad spot
>> on] the HD. Do you have an additional drive on your system?  If so,
>> try moving your ~/.claws-mail folder there and symlink to the new
>> location in your home directory. This should stabilize things if it
>> is the HD.  Then, you'll have to decide how long you can wait before
>> replacing it...  :)
>
>I find that highly unlikely. smartctl gives me no indication of
>hd-errors and it's exclusively claws that has this problem.
>
>It is always pretty similar, so I'm almost certain it's a bug.
>accountrc gets always truncated to exactly 14079, if that is worth
>anything.

I've been using CM for 10 years now and only ever had one case of lost
files (reported here as "Weird failure..." on the 6th) -- due to x86_64
laptop kernel bugs, I can't sleep/hibernate my system. So twice a day, I
issue a shutdown to travel between home & office and never terminate my
two instances of CM.  So CM getting terminated via Shutdown is rather
brutal, but only ever had one time where something weird happened. If
that failure was a CM bug, I'm still trying to reproduce it... :)

14079 = 0x36FF = 033377 = 11011011111111 in case it helps :)

It does sound like a bug; a rare one though...  just in case this too
helps: are you using default installation or customized? Sharing
folders with another OS or app?

The developers here are AWESOME...  most obscure bug IMHO was compose
wrapping. and fastest fix took 2 MINUTES!  I have nothing but thanks and
kudos for these guys...