[Users] Claws Mail PPA - Debian

Manfred Schmitt claws at slashproc.org
Sat Dec 22 02:36:56 CET 2012

edwardp at linuxmail.org wrote:

> I still run Squeeze but I added squeeze-backports yesterday, just to see
> what was in it, nothing I could use, but noticed Claws wasn't
> available.  Guess I'll have to wait for Wheezy to be released.

You could use my repository (only i386):
http://slashproc.org/debian/dists/squeeze/

Or build Claws yourself, it's not that complicated:

Install what's needed to build Debian Packages:
apt-get install build-essential

Put the deb-src for experimental in your sources.list:
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental main

Experimental is only needed for 3.9.0. Usually I build Claws from testing
but I wanted the long awaited IMAP-Search -- which works fine btw :-)

Update the package-list:
apt-get update

Then, under a non-root-account:
apt-get source claws-mail
cd claws-mail-3.9.0
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

Install (obviously as root) all packages mentioned by dpkg-checkbuilddeps
and after that compile claws-mail (again as user):
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

If you want to use some of the Extra-Plugins install the just compiled
libclaws-mail-dev:
cd ../
dpkg -i libclaws-mail-dev_3.9.0-1_i386.deb

After that download the Extra-Plugins:
apt-get source claws-mail-extra-plugins

Again, check if all Build-Depends are installed:
cd claws-mail-extra-plugins-3.9.0
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

This will also list libwebkitgtk-dev which isn't available in stable, it's
called libwebkit-dev there and so you need to change libwebkitgtk-dev in
debian/control to libwebkit-dev.
Now the Extra-Plugins should also compile:
cd ../
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc.

Copy, move or symlink all the packages that you want to install to another
folder and install the debs with dpkg -i *.deb. If dpkg complains about
needed packages install those with apt-get -f install.
Or setup a local repository and install as usual with your preferred package
manager.

To build proper packages one would also add a Changelog-Entry and adjust the
Debian version but for packages only used on a local machine that's afaik not
really needed.

Bye,
Manne