[Users] Question about SMTP servers?

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Tue Dec 18 15:56:55 CET 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 15:40:50 +0100
Bjørn T Johansen <btj at havleik.no> wrote:

> I have an internal SMTP server and internal DNS, but also an external
> SMTP server... When I am in my LAN, I send mail via, lets say,
> mail.havleik.no. On my LAN this has an unoffical ip address and does
> not support authentication. When I am away from home, I still send
> mail via mail.havleik.no but now this is a different SMTP server that
> uses authentication.. So my question is, can I configurate this
> somehow in CM? I.e. using no authentication when I am on my LAN and
> using authentication when I am not?

You can either have two separate accounts (differing only in SMTP auth
setting), or configure the "internal" SMTP server to authenticate
against same user database. I have my home mail server set up like
this, so I do SMTP auth no matter where I'm connecting from.

AFAIK Claws Mail doesn't have any "try sending without authenticating,
authenticate and send again if it fails" behavior.

Regards,
--
Andrej