[Users] SMS/MMS handling [was Re: Counting characters]

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Thu Dec 6 20:14:22 CET 2012

Rather than file an enhancement request; thought I'd just bounce the idea
here since it may be just a pipe dream... :)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 17:12:18 +0100 Colin Leroy wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 11:05:40 -0500, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> I occasionally use claws-mail to send text messages to cell phone
>> devices. These have to be under 140 characters in total (or maybe 160
>> -- I forget). Anyway, does anyone know of a quick way to determine the
>> number of characters in the message other than physically counting
>> them?
>
>Nope, apart from the ruler at the top of the compose window, where 140
>chars is two 70 chars lines :)

A quick test shows that a (no Subject) message containing 320 digits got
delivered with only the first 156 digits and no subsequent message.

Sure would be nice if there was a way to send SMS messages, which might
require:
- [x] Format as SMS **
  - disable, or allow sending w/o Subject
  - turn off wrapping (tho, I painfully remember the wrap problems :)
  - split long messages into multiple SMS as my Android does***

Hey! It's just a dream :)  BUT, if anyone coded this, it would open the
door to MMS...  :) :)

** I have Mail/{SMS,MMS}/<phone#> mailboxes; so SMS/MMS properties
   would be a nice addition for composing...  :)
*** for some reason, split messages *always* arrive out of
order: 1,3,2

In case it helps someone, cell providers may use different addresses for
SMS & MMS, such as mine does:
  SMS:  <phone#>@sms.provider.tld
  MMS:  <phone#>@provider.tld
Send one of each type from your phone to your email address to get the
exact addresses.

Cheers,
Pierre