[Users] PGP in Claws - minor flaw

Brad Rogers brad at fineby.me.uk
Sat Aug 11 11:23:41 CEST 2012

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:22:10 +0100
Richard - Gmail <richard.bosek at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>It worked like a charm. Than you. May I ask few more questions?

YW.

>1. How can I add picture to my account like you did ? (This red icon on
>yellow background)

That's what's known as a "Face" header.  Section 6.9 of the CM manual at
http://www.claws-mail.org/documentation.php?section=general mentions
them, but doesn't explain the rules about generating them.  Google for
more info as their are certain criteria that have to be met; image size,
number of colours used, and header size.

>2. What it actually means that I encrypt with own key as well as
>recipients ?

CM encrypts a copy to be sent to the recipient using their public key,
and encrypts a copy using your key which is kept locally, enabling you
to read what you wrote at a later date.  Without doing that, as you
found, you can't read the sent copy because you don't have the required
private key to decode the message.

>3. What is the difference in Signing (only) PGP messages and Signing
>and Encrypting ?

A signed message, like mine, enables the recipient to have some
indication of who the source of the message is, and that it hasn't been
tapered with between sender and recipient.  Encryption means only the
recipient can decrypt the message to be read.  Encrypt and Sign does
both.

>4. What about creating an icon in "New message window" that will Sign &
>Encrypt message with just one click ?

You'd probably have to create an "Action" for that, which could then be
added to the Compose window's toolbar.  Alternatively, you could create
a custom account in CM that automatically signs and encrypts messages.

>I'm sorry but PGP is generally confusing for new users and I have bit
>problem with understanding it...

Don't worry, a lot of people do.  If you have questions specifically to
do with PGP/GPG functionality, consider signing up to a more appropriate
mailing list, such as the one at gnupg-users at gnupg.org.

--
 Regards  _
The stakes were high but the danger low