[Users] share common processing rules

Johannes Deutsch j_deutsch at web.de
Mon Aug 6 18:05:56 CEST 2012

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 16:35:58 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:30:05 +0200
> Johannes Deutsch <j_deutsch at web.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Johannes,
>
> >So folders with a common parent folder often require common
> >processing (at least in my case).
>
> I've never done this, so am guessing a bit.  Others may well have far
> better answers.
>
> In the "master" directory/folder create your processing rules.  Then,
> select "Properties..." for that folder and tick (check) the "Run
> processing..." rules box you prefer (either at start up or on opening)
> and also tick the Apply to subfolders box on the right hand side.

I think this step is more important for my purposes after i installed
the common rules.

Meanwhile i study ~/.claws-mail/matcherrc and think about if it's worth
to write a perl script that parses folderlist.xml and then assigns
the rules of a defined parent folder to all subfolders. By merely
copying the processing section of the parent folder to all child
folders. Regarding this it would be nice to know whether i could set
markers (i.e. comments) in matcherrc that are ignored by claws-mail but
simplifying writing such a script.

Nevertheless it would be wonderful to have an alternative approach,
since my perl days are far to long ago...

Best regards...