[Users] Claws crawls on KDE
info at troyvit.com
Fri Nov 25 18:31:41 CET 2011
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:19:28 +0000
Graham P Davis <newsboy at scarlet-jade.com> wrote:
> I’ve mentioned this problem on openSUSE newsgroup but no-one there
> had the same problem, so I'm trying here to see (a) if I really am
> alone and (b) if anyone can suggest why I'm suffering.
> When I first start up Claws, everything runs smoothly but after a
> couple of hours I notice it beginning to slow down. Not only that, it
> slows everything else down. After a couple more hours, I have to shut
> it down to be able to use my computer, As soon as it is shut down,
> everything starts whizzing along again. One caveat on this is that it
> has to have been in use during this period; I started it up and just
> left it for 12 hours once and no symptoms appeared but, as soon as I
> started using it, it began slowing down.
> I have looked at the CPU usage and that can be around 20% for the
> total system so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
> Memory climbs steadily and, by the time the problem shows itself, is
> over 500 MiB; it is usually in a race with Firefox to see who can hog
> the most. However, since I have 16 GiB on this machine, I don't see
> how that can be to blame either.
> I can only think of a couple of other possibilities: (a) Claws was
> designed for running on Gnome and there may be a problem with how it
> fares on KDE, and (b) there is a steadily-growing I/O problem while
> it is running. My /home directory is on RAID 10 whilst all others are
> on a separate disk.
> I have about three dozen mail identities, of which all bar four are
> sent to me on one account. These, I filter into their own account
> folders. I noticed that I hadn't put a "stop processing" on each
> filter so there would have been a lot of unnecessary searching. I
> remedied that but, although there seemed a slight improvement,
> performance was still very sluggish.
I read a few weeks/months ago of similar behavior with claws running
the vcalendar plugin. I don't know if it's fixed, but if you're running
an earlier version of claws and/or vcalendar that might be your
problem. FWIW I run claws in both KDE and GNOME. It works equally well
More information about the Users