[Users] Searching (was no subject)

Troy Vitullo info at troyvit.com
Mon Nov 21 22:38:44 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:20:56 -0500
john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:57:45 -0700
> Troy Vitullo <info at troyvit.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 15:44:44 -0500
> > john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The search function in Claws Mail is IMO inadequate. Kmail
> > > creates a separate folder for each search request. This in turn
> > > can be searched further. Claws mail search of a folder just
> > > positions you in that folder. And sometimes it makes false finds,
> > > possibly based on hidden header info in the messsage.
> >
> > John,
> >
> > I agree about the latter part. I hate it when I search for a term
> > and it's some  hidden header that triggers a result.
> >
> > I figured out a trick that (in my opinion) works better than kmail's
> > searches being saved in folders. If I have a criteria that I need to
> > search for more than once, or that I need to manipulate further
> > after searching, I just tag the initial search results with
> > memorable name. Then I can go back and search within that tag using
> > the extended search. It fails if I don't update the tagged results
> > now and again, but it works for me.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Troy
> >
> Can you expand on the tagging process a little bit? Do you have
> to take action to tag each message as it is read?
>
> Are you seaching by right clicking on the folder name or by selecting
> "search" from the "edit" menu?

I use the Extended interface for all my searches. My way probably
isn't the best. Since claws implemented tagging I've quit using folders
except for mailing lists.

You can get the Extended search by clicking the magnifying glass
between the message list and the message pane and selecting it from the
dropdown.

So I'll select the inbox, create a search parameter that matches what I
need, then let it run. If it includes the body it'll take awhile. Once
it has a set of found results I select all of those results, right
click what I've selected, and select Tags --> Apply tags and choose a
name. Next time I need the result of the original, complicated search
they'll come back instantly. All the tagging has done is speed up a
search that I might want to do often.

Here's an example. I was having trouble today with claws in Ubuntu
11.10. I opened up the extended search and typed:

al 150 & b 11.10

so it would get everything less than 150 days old with the string
11.10 in it. Of course I got what you describe, which is a bunch of
messages that didn't have anything to do with 11.10, but it's close
enough and saves some time. I selected all of the messages and tagged
them "oneiric" so I could remember the search.

Then I refined my search by typing

tg oneiric & b completion

to find reference to the bug in oneiric (fixed in cvs) that breaks the
auto-completion of address book entries when you compose a message.

Now when I need to find more onerous oneiric bugs I can just use the
tg search to save a little time. I'll have to rerun my search now and
again though as more oneiric bugs come in. I hope that helps.

Troy