[Users] Firefox 8.0

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 7 00:39:11 CET 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 19:28:03 +0100
Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> dijo:

>On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:49:13 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Since the desktop environment switch happened at roughly the same
>> time it could be Xfce that is causing the difficulty. Clicking on a
>> mail link in a web page is not something that I do very often, so
>> the last time I did so successfully was in Gnome 2.3.2 on Fedora 14
>> with Firefox 3.something. It could be the desktop environment
>> switch, the Fedora 16 upgrade, or the Firefox 8.0 update.

>XFCE has its own application where to choose preferred applications.
>Open a terminal a run this application: xfce4-settings-manager
>
>The choose 'Preferred applications'

Thanks for pointing that out. I already knew about the Settings
Manager, but had forgotten that it had a Preferred Applications menu.

Unfortunately, it was already set to Claws Mail. I re-set it, this time
manually by typing in the name and path of the executable, but it
didn't make any difference. Firefox 8.0 still only allows me to choose
Evolution.

However, a local user who has Fedora 16 and Claws Mail has the option
of selecting Claws Mail in the Firefox dropdown button in Edit >
Preferences > Applications > mailto. He didn't say what DE he was
using, but I asked back. If he's using Xfce then we can rule out Xfce
as the source of the problem.