[Users] Firefox 8.0

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 09:23:32 CET 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 16:50:19 +1100
"Owen" <rcook at pcug.org.au> dijo:

>> The recent upgrade to Fedora 16, x86_64, came with Firefox 8.0.
>> Clicking on an e-mail address in Firefox now wants to open Evolution.
>> can't find the secret for how to tell it to open a Compose window in
>> Claws Mail 3.7.10. Does anyone know?
>

>This may help
>
>http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Changing%20the%20e-mail%20program%20used%20by%20Firefox?s=mail+client&r=0&as=s

That page suggested that Firefox would display the default mail client
that was specified in Preferred Applications, but it does not. I have
long had Claws Mail in the Preferred Applications. I just checked and
it is still there. But the Edit > Preferences > Applications > mailto
option still shows just Evolution (default).

I can select "Use other" which gives me a browser window to find Claws
Mail. At first I selected one of the two .desktop files (one
in /usr/share and one in ~/local/share/applications), but neither would
take. Pierre Fourtin just said to point to the executable, so I did
that instead of the .desktop file, but it still won't "take." No matter
what I do it insists that mail links must be opened in Evolution.