[Translators] something unclear for me (on Notification icon)

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Jun 9 09:53:14 CEST 2017

Hello Cristian,

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 23:19:18 +0300 Cristian Secară <liste at secarica.ro> wrote:

> Considering these two strings:
>
> #: src/plugins/notification/notification_trayicon.c:122
> msgid "_Get Mail from account"
>
> #: src/plugins/notification/notification_trayicon.c:125
> msgid "E_mail from account"
>
> On the second one, shouldn't be "E_mail *for* account" instead ? (of
> course without *)

A native English would correct me if I'm wrong, but "from" here just
means that you compose an email *using* the account XX (out of it). And
this is the same for Get Mail. Is from appropriate here? I think so.
Even if from is used for "Email from account XX"? I think so again.
Could we use "using" or something else? I'll let a native English say it.

"From" indicates the origin of something, whatever it's logical or
implies a physical position and movement. The use and meaning of such
word and its translation may vary according to the language. In French,
it could be made different and the translation of "from" in both "Get
Mail from account" and "Email from account" is different (I translated it
with "avec" and "du", which are definitely "using" and "from" because
there are no real other pertinent choices in terms of language
correctness and GUI rules).

Making it appropriate to your language and making it good enough towards
GUI requirements - that are all the difficulties of translating
software interfaces :-).

> I suppose this if for composing email for specific account – only that
> on my system this does not seem to work (only the creation for current
> account works).

Works here. "Email" opens up a new compose window from (using) current
account, "Email from XX" does it from the XX account as expected.

Regards,

--
wwp