[Translators] Support for msgctxt

Andrej Kacian andrej at kacian.sk
Tue Nov 13 13:23:55 CET 2012

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:37:08 -0200
H <hm at hm.net.br> wrote:

> looking at the big picture ...
>
> why would you change something without having any reasonable
> advantage?

I wouldn't. The advantage here is greater clarity for translators, and
removal of the senseless limitation of not being able to use the pipe
character in translated strings with context.

> it cause unnecessary work, brings in the risk of failure, adaption
> time and who knows what else

Looks like your definition of "unnecessary" differs from mine. And if
we're talking about risks, every single change to a software project
brings those.

> pod in any case is old and slow and time consumptive, still depends on
> compiling the files, user-unfriendly
>
> if it were a change to something modern and user-friendly, sqlite text
> libraries which could be added and changed in run-time, such a work
> would make sense

Different ballparks. Speaking in car metaphors, I'm proposing using
more effective light bulbs for headlights, you're proposing buying a
new car.

Regards,
--
Andrej