[Translators] geolocation: translated country names (no thanks!)

Slavko slavino at slavino.sk
Thu Dec 15 20:07:07 CET 2011

Ahoj,

Dňa Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:13:37 +0100 Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk>
napísal:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:05:19 +0100
> Holger Berndt <hb at claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mi, 14.12.2011 11:05, wwp wrote:
> >
> > >HTH, and hope to see a comment on this from the geolocation maintainer
> > >as well ;-).
> >
> > How about: It was hard to write, so it should be hard to translate! ;p
> >
> > On a more serious note, using such tables sounds like a good idea. But
> > it's only useful if there are tables available mapping alpha-2 codes
> > to translated country names - I saw that only for French, your other
> > link had lists of translated country names, but no alpha-2 code
> > mapping.
> >
> > If they would indeed exist, and if I knew how to choose the correct one
> > at runtime, and if I found the strength deal with the autotools setup
> > to install them alongside of the plugin, it would surely be an
> > improvement.
>
> Maybe the CLDR database[1] would help, if you can somehow use the
> XML-formatted data in the common/main folder...
>
> http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads

Here exist some as ISO-3166, and this is translated in Translation project,
perhaps PO helps for other too (for me only cca 20 untranslated strings
lefts after merging PO files):

http://translationproject.org/domain/iso_3166.html

But i agree with: It is duplicated work to maintain two separated lists
of Country names. And all duplicated jobs are similar - inconsistent.
Most from mentioned 20 untranslated strings (country names) was by
lower/upper case changes from ISO.

regards

--
s pozdravom