[Users] How do I find e-mails containing at least one of multiple strings?

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Sun Apr 28 10:22:02 UTC 2024

On Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:50:35 -0700
Rick Deininger <rrdein at gmx.com> wrote:

> Such a simple task for literally any other mail client, but I cannot
> figure it out with Claws.  There is this doc
> https://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Filtering_and_Processing_of_Messages
> with a question, "Can I filter messages based on Content-Type of
> attachments, for example "application/x-msdownload"?", for which the
> answer begins, "Yes. Select Match Type 'Body part' and enter the Value
> not an available Matching option (at least not that I can find), even
> though it is definitely completely obvious that it should be an
> available Matching option.
>
> So of course I am totally lost here on how to do this
> ultra-simple/intuitive thing.  How can I search for e-mails (in a
> specific folder or across multiple folders, I don't care) that have
> either the word "magnanimous" or "antagonistic" (or both)?

Hi,

I am not using filtering in Claws, but I did a simple test. I selected
menu item 'Configuration', then 'Filtering...', which opened new window
with title 'Filtering Configuration'in my case, with empty of filters.

First I pressed 'Define' button right to 'Condition' entry field, so I
need not to learn how it should be written.

This opens another window, with 'Condition configuration' title. Here I
created two condition, both using Match criteria 'Phrase' in 'whole
message', and 'whole message' 'contains' word selected (your
"magnanimous" for first one, and "antagonistic" for the second one). At
the bottom, message must match 'at least one' of conditions is selected.

Alternative could be using regexp for this, left for you to test if
interested.

For test, I selected action 'color 1'. That's it. And now, to verify
test results, select menu item 'Tools', then 'Filter all messages in
folder' and wait. In my case, your message to Claws Mail user list is
colored orange, as expected.

There are many ways to achieve the desired result, I just used one
possibility which looks straighforward to me.

Regards,
Milan