[Users] compose message - double hight To/Cc/Bcc

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Fri Apr 19 11:01:45 UTC 2024

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:19:22 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:58:49 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > DM: Thus, for example (I'm assuming), "edit-clear-all-symbolic".
>
> See the Standard Icon Names from freedesktop.org:
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/latest/ar01s04.html

I asked about how icon names are translated into filenames and I got a
reply from Emmanuele Bassi as follows:

"Named icons follow the [XDG icon theme
specification](https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html).

"If you specify `icon-name` as the name, then the icon will be matched
to the current icon theme name, and to the size specified when looking
up the icon—using
[`gtk_icon_theme_lookup_icon()`](https://docs.gtk.org/gtk4/method.IconTheme.lookup_icon.html).
In absence of an explicit size, like
[`gtk_image_set_pixel_size()`](https://docs.gtk.org/gtk4/method.Image.set_pixel_size.html)
the size is computed by the style.

"The `-symbolic` bit is a separate GTK extension that hasn't been
codified in the specification; it's a suffix, so if you select
`icon-name-symbolic` you'll get the symbolic icon if it exists, and if
it doesn't you'll get `icon-name`."

(source
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/how-are-icon-names-translated-in-gtk/20520/2 )

So the first paragraph links to another spec that explains more about
how the icon names are translated. (It's not as simple as the Standard
Icon Names). The last paragraph says that it's all moot and what works,
works (if I translate correctly).

So I think my WAG was on the money. An alternative would be Paul's
suggestion for claws to take control of the icons itself. At least as
an option.

Cheers, Dave