[Users] Claws-Mail on a M1 Mac

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:06:02 UTC 2023

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 2:17 PM Jim Pachowski <jimmy.patch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get Claws-Mail running on my M1 Mac. Has anybody had
> any success with it? Please help if you have any insights on this.
>
> When I searched about it, I realised I had three options:
> 1. MacPorts - old version
> 2. HomeBrew - 3.19.0 (sort of old) but no Fancy plugin
> 3. HomeBrew to get libraries, etc. and self-compile
>
> Since #1 and #2 got pushed out, I thought it would be easy to get
> sources and just compile. No. I ran into problems that I do not
> understand. "make" exits with

>   "_SecCertificateCopyData", referenced from:
>       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
>   "_SecTrustEvaluate", referenced from:
>       _mailstream_cfstream_set_ssl_enabled in libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
>       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
>   "_SecTrustGetCertificateAtIndex", referenced from:
>       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
>   "_SecTrustGetCertificateCount", referenced from:
>       _mailstream_cfstream_set_ssl_enabled in libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
>       _mailstream_low_cfstream_get_certificate_chain in
> libetpan.a(mailstream_cfstream.o)
> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>
> If you have any insights/guides/info to help getting CM working on my
> Mac, please let me know.

M1's are aarch64. You should [probably] not have references to x86_64.

It looks like some library is built using the wrong architecture. Or
maybe, they are fat libraries missing an architecture. You can use
lipo to see which architectures are provided by a library. Post the
result of:

   lipo -info libetpan.a

Jeff