[Users] Mail-editing in claws mail w/ external editor: remove dual-editing window

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 15:07:51 UTC 2022

Hey there,

Johan Vromans wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> I just tried it after enabling the external editor and the message
>> window that opens contains the "[Edited]" string at the end of its
>> title the entire time that it's open regardless of whether you're
>> writing a reply or composing a new message.
>
>Yes, but the string only appears **after** something was changed
>(i.e., written/saved from the external editor).

I'm using Claws Mail v4.0.0 and I can see from the header on your
message that you're using Claws Mail v 4.1.0. Perhaps something has
changed between the two versions and/or maybe the environment
matters. I'm using Kubuntu 22.04 LTS.

These are the steps I took in case you want to try them out and
compare:
	1. Click the "Configuration" menu.
	2. Click "Preferences..." in the menu.
	3. Click "Writing" in the left pane.
	4. Click the "Automatically launch the external editor"
	checkbox to enable it.
	5. Click the "Apply" button.
	6. Click the "OK" button.
	7. Right-click your message.
	8. Click "Reply" in the context menu that opens.
	9. Examine the title of the message window without
	interacting with the external editor.
	10. Examine the title of the message window after interacting
	with (making a change in) the external editor window.
	11. Examine the title of the message window after saving the
	change to the external editor window.
	12. Click "Send later" in the message window to close it.
	13. Click "Compose" in the Claws Mail toolbar to create a new
	message.
	14. Repeat steps 9, 10, and 11.

When I follow those steps, the message window always has the
"[Edited]" string from the moment it's created until the moment it's
closed, whether I use and/or save changes in the editor or not. The
use of the editor is optional and closing it will leave the message
window open and available for editing or closing - whichever you
prefer - always with that string at the end of its title.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.