[Users] Adding latest Google Policies to Win32 Version of Claws

David Fletcher David at megapico.co.uk
Sun Jun 5 18:03:05 CET 2022

Rosemary Lockie <wishful99 at btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have noted Michael Rasmussen's message to say that the latest git version has been
>adopted to the latest Google policies, and have cloned it to investigate what changes
>are needed to my clone of the claws-win32-installer to build the Win32 version of Claws.
>
>My assessment is that I need to replace (at least) oauth2.c in
>
>~/claws-win32-installer/packages/claws-mail-3.19.0.tar.xz
>
>with the equivalent from the latest git.
>
>However I suspect there may be other files as well?
>
>Before I embark on this, can someone please advise if it is likely to be as "simple", as
>to replace/update just a few source files?

Hi Rosemary,

You'd need prefs_account.c too as this has changed. However, since the
changes affect the interface I'm not sure it will be simple to backport
the git version (gtk3) into the 3.19 source (gtk2).

If you're just looking to make it work for Google the instructions below
tell you the really crucial part you need to change in the 3.19 sources.
The new git version has some nice extras to remove the part where you
have to manually copy the authorisation code in, but that's a 'nice to
have' rather than essential.

Fixing the Google Oauth2 deprecation issue:

(1) Replace
    "urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob",
with
   "https://127.0.0.1:8888",
on line 50 of claws-mail/src/oauth2.c

(2) Compile Claws Mail as normal.
(3) Set up your account as normal.
(4) Oauth2 authorization - Use the normal Open default browser button, or
copy the code to your browser. Go through the Google authorization
process as normal. After completing this Google will forward you to a
web page that does not exist. Copy the authorization code out of the URL
and into the Claws Mail Authorization Code box. Make sure to copy just
the code, not the whole URL, e.g. from the URL
https://127.0.0.1:8888/?code=4/0AX4XfWiLeoP0OglH3-VeEIokX7Bm12L895CkWPlYqF3PkvqlhBtrjs7Aikxj_JeDk-xexQ&scope=https://mail.google.com/

the code is this part:
4/0AX4XfWiLeoP0OglH3-VeEIokX7Bm12L895CkWPlYqF3PkvqlhBtrjs7Aikxj_JeDk-xexQ

Best wishes, David.