[Users] Error using Claws with vCalendar on Windows 10 and Google Calendar

Charles S Cairns cscairns at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 02:23:49 CEST 2020

Hi all, I use Evolution on Fedora and am happy with that, but need a
lean client for Windows. I've used Claws in the past (and recall it
fondly) but it's been a number of years.

Having struggled with Thunderbird since the last upgrade and being
disenchanted with Gmail's web interface, I want to return to Claws for
my Windows laptops.

I have Claws configured and working for Gmail. I'd like to get the
vCalendar plugin operational, too, but am having a devil of a time. I
don't need 2-way updating; I'd just like Claws to show my current
Google calendar.

This how to reproduce the error I'm getting:

1 After loading vCalendar in Claws, right-click on 'Meetings' under
the 'vCalendar' folder.
2 Choose'Subscribe to Webcal...'
3 Under 'Enter the Webcal URL:', paste private Google calendar URL
(Google calls this 'Secret address in iCal format').
4 Click 'OK'
5 Result:
     Error
     Could not retrieve the Webcal URL:
     https://calendar.google.com/etc...
     SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

Is this something I can resolve?

Thank you!

--csc