[Users] Replacement for 'dillo' plugin

R. Harkins 15044 at rharkins.com
Thu Jan 23 15:28:34 CET 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 07:38:35 -0500
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> I am attempting to contact the FreeBSD port maintasiner,
> joneum at FreeBSD.org, regarding this situation. It does appear, at least
> to me anyway, that claws-mail is not keeping up with the times. What
> does amaze me is that CM, at least for me, is far more functional on a
> Windows machine than it is on a FreeBSD machine. I am not sure why the
> older 'fancy' plugin cannot be updated. I don't do programming to any
> extent. All my work is concerned with logistics and government
> regulations so I cannot be of any help in updating it.
>
> Please let me know if you hear or find out anything of value regarding
> this situation.

Yes, several times Windows ports of open source projects are more
functional.  My assumption is that Windows ports tend to be self
contained with no or minimal external dependencies. Some form of
free-standing Claws-mail (static linked, virtual machine, some
container, ?) for Linux/FreeBSD would be of interest.

Years ago I tried Claws-mail on Windows.  The command line option
"alternate-config-dir" seamed to behave differently. Multiple email
collections were being used to separate personal, work, and Yahoo
groups.  Microsoft and Windows are now moving towards a subscription
model and I am moving away from Windows in general.

The last time I looked, Claws-mail was the only email client that could
replace Eudora in filtering. Self interest prompts me to do what I can
to support Claws-mail.

R. Harkins