[Users] Switching from Thunderbird to claws-mail.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Aug 12 04:35:27 CEST 2020

On 11/08/20 7:25 pm, Paul wrote:

> Hi Rolf,
>
> I will add to Liz Dodd's answers...

Thanks very much for taking the time to do this.

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:20:47 +1200
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> 2.  Does claws-mail have message filters, at least somewhat analogous to
>> those provided by Thunderbird?
>
> Yes, it does. There is a script (called thunderbird-filters-convertor.pl)
> available at https://www.claws-mail.org/tools.php, which will convert tb
> filter rules to Claws Mail filter rules. (It's an old script and I don't know
> if there have been changes in tb since, but it still works as far as I know.)

Excellent news.  I may need to pester you for instructions on how to use
this script.  Or (said he optimistically) it may be straightforward.

>> 3.  How easy (or difficult) will it be for me to import my elaborate tree
>> of saved message folders from Thunderbird into claws-mail? Impossible?
>> Possible but gruellingly arduous?  Piece of cake (said he, optimistically)?
>>   Please note that since I have an enormous number of saved emails to which
>> I'd like to retain access, I would need to import them in a fairly
>> automated manner, and not in a kludgy one-by-one manner.
>
> You said you use IMAP. Therefore there is nothing to import, your folders and
> messages are saved on the server. You just need to add this IMAP account to
> Claws Mail.

Yes, that makes sense.  I would have hoped that this would be so, except
for my congenital pessimism! :-)

> Otherwise, there is another script at the same place, tbird2claws.py, which
> will convert your tb mailbox(es).

Hmmm.  Given the foregoing, why would one need such a script?  For use
with a POP server perhaps?

>> 4.  Are there any pitfalls or Traps for Young Players that I have not
>> envisaged in the foregoing?
>
> Claws Mail has what we consider a feature: It does not create/write HTML
> messages. It can read and display HTML mail (either as text or rendered using
> a plugin), but does not create HTML mail itself.

That's actually good news.  I eschew HTML mail (and therefore like this
feature).

> with regards
>
> Paul

Thanks again.