[Users] Some Message Part 'Open With' Dialogs Missing 'Remember This' Option

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:40:46 CET 2019

> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 09:26:39 -0000
> From: Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Users] Some Message Part 'Open With' Dialogs Missing
> 	'Remember This' Option
>
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 13:46:41 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Shall I file a bug for this? If so, for the 'Importance' category,
> > should I go with 'Minor' or 'Enhancement'?
>
> It's not a bug.
>
> The 'Remember This' check box is only present for mime types that are
> present in the mailcap file (either /etc/mailcap or ~/.mailcap). If
> the entry is present then the application you choose to use can be
> remembered by writing to ~/mailcap.

DM: Thanks for your reply, Paul. I checked this out and can't reconcile
what I found with what you've mentioned, unless I'm not understanding
something. When I open the /etc/mailcap file (no ~/.mailcap file yet at
this point), I note that all three MIME types I mentioned are present in
the file: message/rfc822, text/plain, and text/html. The only
difference I can see is that the type that results in a dialog box with
a 'Remember this' option has only one entry in the file, whereas the
types without the option each have multiple entries in the file. Would
that difference have anything to do with it?

DM: I also noticed that after choosing 'Remember this' for the
'message/rfc822' part, that mime association doesn't show up in the
/etc/mailcap file, but it does result in the creation of a ~/.mailcap
file and then shows up in there. However, if I add a similar entry to
the ~/.mailcap file for the text/plain mime type, in Claws that part
still doesn't show the 'Remember this' option and also doing a straight
'Open' doesn't behave as it should if that entry had actually taken
effect.

DM: Would you mind taking another look into this? Let me know if you
need more info from me or want me to do any testing in regards to this.
Thanks, ---Dustin