[Users] Some Parts of Some Emails Not Included in Reply

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 10:52:27 CET 2019

> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 10:48:14 +0200
> From: Ralf Mardorf <kde.lists at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Users] Some Parts of Some Emails Not Included in Reply
>
> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 14:12:33 +0600, Dustin Miller wrote:
>>Ironically, I only remember this being an issue with the 'Digest'
>>emails that I receive from this mailing list.
>
> there are two different kinds of digest mails. 1. plain text digest
> mails. Those plain test digest mails should be banned, actually some
> mailing lists disabled plain text digest, while other mailing list
> disabled digest mails at all. 2. MIME digest mails. "A MIME digest has
> each message as an attachment inside the message" [1].

DM: Hi, Ralf. Thanks for this background info.

> IOW it's neither a bug, nor a feature, it's an user error. You most
> likely replied to the digest itself ... .

DM: From your description and the appearance of the emails both in
Claws and in a webmail interface, my guess is my preferences for this
list are to receive the digest as plain text rather than as 'MIME'. I
did reply to the digest, but would describe that as user 'preference'
rather than user 'error'. :) It does mean adjusting the subject and
trimming the message body, but I don't mind doing that for the ability
to greatly decrease the number of individual emails I receive.
However, the current issue I'm reporting can create even more work
since you often have to copy the email you want to reply to out of the
digest email and paste it into a new email, etc.

> ... (at best some people edit the subject).
> Some mailing lists ban people from the mailing list, if they repeat to
> reply to plain text digest, for good reason.

DM: The first time I replied to one of this list's digests, I may have
thought about it on my own to edit the subject, but there is also a
handy reminder at the top of each digest email about editing the
subject when you reply.

> Ralf
>
> Btw. signatures marked with a "-- " should be excluded from quotes, too.
>
> --
> Signature

DM: Actually, I had thought this might be the case (and that there
might be one or more settings related to this that could be used as a
bit of a hack-ish workaround). If I had to guess, I think I would
speculate that, since the digest includes people's signatures, then
Claws can easily 'think' that there's just a really long signature on
the email, when in fact the 'signature' includes one or more emails.
:) Not sure how difficult adjusting the code would be, but if this
aspect of the software could be made a bit 'smarter', that would be
great.

DM: BTW, I'm replying to this from a webmail interface (Gmail) and did
not have this same issue, but I would be pretty surprised if the issue
won't be present when I view it in Claws later.

DM: Thanks again, Ralf, for your reply. ---Dustin