[Users] Wrapping

mlist at riseup.net mlist at riseup.net
Mon Jun 10 12:46:04 CEST 2019

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:08:30 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I would use my 9.7-inch screen or my 12.9-inch
> screen iPad only in exceptional circumstances for
> emailing. I tend to write emails sitting at my desk.

It may not be your habit but most people use phones
for communication (including email).

> However, those screens are already large enough to
> display 72 chars long lines, at a size, readable
> with the eyes of a 50+ old man, using normal reading
> glasses.

The visible part of a small mobile screen in portrait
mode (most used) is about 2". 72 cpl (border to
border) would mean 0.7 mm character width. That is far
below readable. Even 55 cpl would be less than 1 mm
character width. Looking at one such screen right now
25-30 cpl seems somewhat readable (though bigger is
easier on the eyes). Also not everyone has perfect
vision. So a 72 cpl message wouldn't display nicely on
a narrow mobile screen.

IMO instead of being firm on habits and blaming
others for being idiots, it is much wiser to consider
the actuality and make sure the message is formatted
to easily reach the mind of the receiving party (which
is the whole purpose of communication).