[Users] Advice on configuring the From: header

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Feb 4 11:04:32 CET 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 09:01:18 +0100
wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 23:36:37 +0000 Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 23:26:36 +0100
> > "Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン)" <rol at witbe.net> wrote:

> > > +1 - I've 18 of them configured on my machine, and this is working
> > > perfectly.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Rol
> >
> > I'm curious how that works. If I want to send a reply to a list
> > message, so as to preserve threading etc, what do I do?
>
> In fact you don't even need a send-only account to do what you want.
> You just need to filter incoming mails from your account, matching "a
> list" to be copied into "a folder" (which you already have probably),
> and in this folder's properties (in Compose), set the default account
> to be "your account" and set your "address with the code embedded" in
> the From field of the compose/reply/forward templates.
>
> The alternate way using a send-only account would be:
>
> 1. Configure your "normal" receive/send account.
> 2. Configure your new send-only (SMTP) account w/ the exact same
> information as set in the normal account but the email address
> contains "the code embedded".
> 3. Configure filtering rules at least so that mails received with your
> normal account, from "a list", land into a specific folder.
> 4. In the properties of that list folder, set the default account to
> be your send-only account. No need to play w/ templates.
>
> BTW, is "the code embedded" like the normalized email alias address,
> like "dave+code at ..." ?
>

> Regards,

Lots of interesting ideas here.
So the coded email address
code at example.org.au
can only receive mail. It goes to a forwarder which sends it to an
email account in the normal sense.

I'm not sure how I can send a mail with that address, because many
places refuse mail where the email address and the sending mail server
don't match.
However, I will try and see what happens.

Yes, the mails are already filtered to their own folder.

Liz