[Users] Clawsker doesn't start (Can't locate Gtk3.pm in @INC...)

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Nov 12 01:25:47 CET 2018

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:43:23 +0200
Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 20:43:35 +0000 Dave Howorth wrote:
>
> > You won't break anything.
>
> OK, not trying to be clever but rather to work safely
> (as a user) and following the directions given by the
> command in my first attempts to `cpanm Gtk3` I reached
> this point which tells me:
>
> ! Configure failed for Glib-Object-Introspection-0.046.
> See /home/████/.cpanm/work/1541971185.305/build.log for details.
>
> Here is the full console output:
>
> https://susepaste.org/09c1c5b1
>
> and the build.log:
>
> https://susepaste.org/658fdcb3
>
> I understand it is possible to use `--force`

I would never use force.

It is claiming that you do not have gobject-introspection. Is that
correct? You can check in YaST or use some zypper command or other and
then install it if necessary with the same tool.

FWIW, I do have gobject-introspection installed for whatever reason and
Gtk3.pm installs cleanly.

> but I
> would rather hope not to have failures than forcing
> through them (which doesn't seem to help anyway).
>
> Also trying to uninstall gives some other errors and
> actually files remain in the created structure:
>
> https://susepaste.org/3e2a938f
>
> This kind of justifies my concerns that doing it all
> that as a root and thus modifying (content of) system
> (sub)directories may not be quite safe and clean way to
> do things.
>
> What do you say?

Well, you haven't made a clean installation yet, so it's perhaps not
entirely surprising you don't get a clean uninstall.

But whilst I understand your paranoia, I can only repeat that you would
not damage anything if you were to repeat the installation as root,
whether it was successful or not. If you care to understand, you can
examine the paths used by modules installed by the system as compared
with those installed from CPAN, even as root.