[Users] Using Fancy with Fedora 29 ?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Nov 3 20:20:49 CET 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 19:57:01 +0100, Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) wrote:
>I've just finished upgrading from Fedora 21 to Fedora 29, and then
>recompiled Claws to link to the new libraries... But fancy is not
>compiling because I have no "webkit-1.0".
>
>Anyone knows which F29 package provides webkit-1.0 ? In the meantime,
>I've compiled with dillo, but I like the fancy plugin, the way to
>control if external elements are loaded or not, etc...
>
>If any Fedora user reads the list, please help ;)
>I've tried the "yum whatprovides \*webkit-1.0.pc" but this is only
>returning some mingw packages ;(

I'm not a Fedora user, however, for security reasons hopefully most
Linux distros dropped it already or will drop it as soon as possible. I
suspect that Fedora dropped it.

The distro I'm using dropped it a long, long time ago, but it's still
provided by a user repository for this distro.

If you should consider to compile it yourself, consider first to read
the pinned comments here: https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/webkitgtk

An excerpt from the above link:

"Q3. Building takes too long time!

A3: WebKit is inherently big and complex. It can take up to 13.5 hours"

Anyway, while Claws 3.17.0 still is stable on Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS, it's
nearly completely unusable, when running on Arch Linux and it was
already more or less unusable several release before, either when
installing it from official repositories, as well as when building it
from git, as I do for Ubuntu.

[root at archlinux moonstudio]# systemd-nspawn -q apt -qq list claws-mail-git
claws-mail-git/now 3.17.0-1 amd64 [installed,local]
[root at archlinux moonstudio]# pacman -Q claws-mail
claws-mail 3.17.1-1

Even if I ever should have used Fancy, I wouldn't try to build it.
You better find another MUA, since soon or later Claws will be broken on
other systems, too. On my machine there are no issues on my Arch
install, when using Sylpheed or Evolution.

YMMV!

--
Kitty, Daisy & Lewis - The Game Is On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL6Cuo0YPlo