[Users] Understanding processing (and pre/post-)

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sun Mar 18 22:43:46 CET 2018

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 23:05:10 +0200
Removed GDPR <removed-gdpr at example.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 15:41:27 -0400 Michael A. Yetto wrote:
>
> > It would be even better if you would put in as much effort to learn
> > this program on your own as you want others to put in teaching you.
> >
> > The more common way of expressing this is. "Do your own homework."
>
> Mike, just because one is asking a question doesn't mean one expects
> some tremendous effort from others or that one has not searched and
> experimented. FYI I have read the full manual and it does not answer
> the particular question I am putting here.

George, just because one asks a question implies one expects somebody
else to put effort into answering that question. In return it's a
reasonable expectation that the questioner will say upfront what
research and experimentation they have already done to answer the
question, to avoid the responder having to repeat such information, and
to explain why they want the question answered so the responder can
estimate how much effort it's worth spending to answer the question.

In your case, you didn't do any of those things and upon prompting, you
made us aware that you're aware of research and of experimentation, but
only told us about your research, and nothing about experimentation or
what your needs actually are, apart from curiosity.

So full marks to Mike for trying to help.