[Users] Users Digest, Vol 79, Issue 42

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.clwm.729 at letterboxes.org
Sat Mar 17 12:23:50 CET 2018

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018, at 10:58, claws.paws at mailmight.com wrote:
> Richard,
>

> > In the headers the things to specifically look at include:

> > The "Delivered-To:" value should be the address of the mailbox you
> > retrieved the message from. The other two addresses, if not the same
> > as the "Delivered-To", could be indications of addresses that are
> > aliases/distribution lists/etc.
> >
> > There are other bits in the "received" lines, but the above can
> > generally help to sort out the obvious.

> Thanks for that - I shall pay attention to those fields.

Be aware that some mail providers use slightly different versions of
these, eg "x-delivered-to" rather than "delivered-to".

> Urm well here is the set-up using fake addresses:
>
> Account 1:  george at phonecoop.coop IMAP for RX and SMTP for TX.
> Account 2:  fox at phonecoop.coop IMAP for Rx and SMTP for TX.
>
> Account 1 is the default account. SOME messages for 'george' go to
> 'fox'. They are not duplicates or copies just the original message.
> I cannot be any clearer than that. Cheers, Paul.

A big problem here is that different mail providers use terms like
"account" to mean different things, and indeed use "mailbox" to
mean different things.  No-one's sure  how your provider's system
is meant to work let alone how you're using it...

Are these addresses provided by the company whose entire mail
FAQ is the handful of points listed here:

  https://www.thephone.coop/help-resources/email-support/

I've just poked around on that site and can't find anything about
how to define more than one email address on an account - and
I'm using "account" to mean "your single contract with that
provider".   Nothing eg about "aliases" or "mailboxes" or any aid
to using their webmail system, which might give a clue.

Have you tried their webmail system?  If so to see the mixture of
messages do you login to just one place, or do you have to log in
to two places?  (I mean the same system, but with two sets of
userrid/password credentials.)

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.