[Users] Can't decrypt my PGP-mail

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Jan 30 13:49:41 CET 2018

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:50:01 +0100
Andreas Meyer wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Andrej Kacian <ticho at claws-mail.org> schrieb am 30.01.18 um 04:44:22
> Uhr:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 03:46:05 +0100
> > Andreas Meyer <anmeyer at mailbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I just was sending an encrypted answer to an encrypted email I got
> > > but when try to read the answer I sent one more time in the sent
> > > folder I can't decrypt it.
> > >
> > > What's wrong?
> >
> > Do you have "Encrypt sent messages with your own key in
> > addition to recipient's" checkbox enabled on Privacy page in account
> > preferences?
>
> No, this is not enabled. I remembeer the email I got from the partner
> was encrypted with another key than the emailaddress it was sent to
> finally. Maybe this has something to do with it?

You will only be able to decrypt messages where the relevant private
key is in your key ring, so I doubt it would affect things.

It's perfectly fine to encrypt to yourself provided that you can accept
the additional security effects of doing so. It's not a good idea if
you *really* only want the addressee (or more accurately the key owner)
to be able to decrypt it.

--

Brian Morrison