[Users] Action which changes font preferences?

Removed GDPR removed-gdpr at example.com
Wed Aug 29 13:14:13 CEST 2018

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 01:58:54 +0300 Shai Berger wrote:

> If I understand correctly, George wants to be able,
> by some trivial UI operation, to make the message
> view use a fixed-size font.

Yes: a quick way to toggle between a monospace font
with a particular size and a proportional font with
other size(s). Messages can have better readability
with either of those. Example:

# Reading

Unwrapped lengthy text is much easier and relaxing for
the eye if displayed with larger proportional font
(which BTW is confirmed by some researchers).
Personally I have seen that I get the best feel and
read speed for such text with Roboto Sans 24 and about
50-55 characters of line width (about 7-10 words).
This width is about the width of two fists put next to
each other at arm length which area fits perfectly
between the blind spots of the eye:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~itm/688/wk8%20-%20Psychology%20and%20Design/designing%20with%20the%20mind%20in%20mind/science-05.pdf

Roboto Sans 24 also gives about 1 finger of line
spacing (at arm length) which I find very good.

Any wider text requires additional movements of the
eye which creates strain when reading lots of text.

Any smaller text creates eye strain.

# Skimming through

That is easier when the text is smaller. Still the
considerations about width apply.

# Monospace

Surely reads better for things like source code or
other specifically formatted/wrapped text. Again: width
matters. IMO: 80 characters is way too wide for
non-code regardless of the historical reasons which
made it a standard.

Another thing which creates eye strain is jumpy
(non-smooth) scrolling. It is like a hit on the
eye muscles which try to follow the quick moves.

> Both of these, alas, require coding.

Might be worth it. Unfortunately I am not a programmer.

--
George