[Users] dead area in folder list

Olivier Brunel jjk at jjacky.com
Wed Apr 25 15:48:40 CEST 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:23:43 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:27:44 +0200
> Olaf Hering <olaf at aepfle.de> wrote:
>
> > In the folder list, each folder has an icon left to its name. On the
> > left beside that icon there is an area which allows to change the
> > icon from closed to open, and back. But that area does not actually
> > select and highlight the folder. Every other area does select that
> > folder. Anyone else seeing this behavior?
>
> Yes, I see that behaviour. It appears to be useful to me, so I expect
> it is a deliberate piece of design.

I believe the oddity Olaf was referring to, is that the behavior you're
describing is absolutely fine & expected when a folder has subfolders,
and in the area in question should then exist an expander (an arrow, or
a plus/minus sign, probably depends on your theme) that you click on,
but it also works for folders that have no children - and where no such
expander exists/is visible: then you can still click on the area where
an expander would be drawn (if the folder had children), and it doesn't
select the folder but simply toggle its icon (opened/closed); Had you
clicked slightly more to the left or the right, the folder would have
been selected.

Not sure if it's a bug, by design, or just how it is, but I can see why
it might feel odd/unexpected for childless folders, due to the lack of
visual aid (expander).

HTH,