[Users] Marking mails as read via external program

Shai Berger shai at platonix.com
Sun Nov 5 01:07:55 CET 2017

Hello Claws users,

This is my first message in this group. I am not yet really a Claws mail user,
I am trying to move from KMail. I have quite a lot of old mail, and several
hundred messages marked "unread" because I still want to do something about
them; keeping these marks is, at this stage, a must-have for me. Keeping the
"replied" marks would be a nice-to-have.

I have written a little script to translate KMail's unique version of Maildir
to Claws' MH. It improves on kmail-mailbox2claws-mail.pl[1] by also generating
the .mh_sequences files for each imported directory[2].

But Claws does not seem to take heed of existing .mh_sequences files -- all the
messages in the folder show up as new; if I visit the folder in Claws, then
the "unseen" sequence is set to match what Claws was showing. The "replied"
sequence also seems to be completely ignored.

I tried to manually edit the .mh_sequences file -- change it after the folder
had been seen by Claws -- to no avail. It seems that Claws updates the
sequences file, but never actually reads it.

Is this on purpose? Is there a way to work around it?

While searching, I found references to "tagsdb" -- is that where the "real"
info is stored? The files under .claws-mail/tagsdb seem to be binary, so a
little harder to process from outside...

I'm trying to use Claws 3.15.1 on Debian (testing).

Thanks for your help,

	Shai.

[1] from http://www.claws-mail.org/tools.php?section=downloads
[2] I think it improves -- my reading of Perl is a bit limited, but AFAICT
that script does not even try to generate .mh_sequences