[Users] Messages being expunged before retrieval

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Mon May 22 09:49:44 CEST 2017

On Mon, 22 May 2017 10:43:42 +1000
Peter Richards <peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Today I checked the logs, matching the messages retrived to what
> was on the server. Seems Claws is deleting messages from the server
> before they are retrieved.

No, it's not. In your log messages with 'POP3>' are commands sent by
Claws Mail, log messages with 'POP3<' are responses sent by the
server.

Claws Mail asks, how may messages have you got?
> [10:03:57] POP3> STAT

Server says 2
> [10:03:57] POP3< +OK 2 11869

Claws Mail attempts to retrieve one
> [10:03:58] POP3> RETR 1

The server says that the message is not there
> [10:03:58] POP3< -ERR Message 1 expunged.

Claws Mail retrieves a message
> [10:04:08] POP3> RETR 1

Server says ok, here it is
> [10:04:09] POP3< +OK 5077 octets

Claws Mail tells the server to delete the message Claws Mail has
received
> [10:04:09] POP3> DELE 1

Server says
> [10:04:09] POP3< +OK Marked to be deleted.

So the problem is some kind of problem on the server side and not
Claws Mail deleting messages before they are received.

with regards

Paul