[Users] passwords deleted after downgrade ?

mi codejodler at gmx.ch
Fri May 5 23:12:21 CEST 2017

Andrej,

> Look if there is passwordstorerc.bak file, and try to replace
> passwordstorerc with it - hopefully it will still have the original
> passwords.

That was my very first attempt. But since these 2 files were of exactly the same byte size, it did not surprise me it diint work.

It seemed to me the .bak file is created every time claws closes ? Then of course it was gone, since i closed and restarted claws several times, in the process of down- and upgrade.

> You see, when you downgraded to 3.11, started and closed Claws Mail at
> least once, it would save new empty passwords "the old way", and after
> you upgraded again, the new Claws Mail would move them to
> passwordstorerc, overwriting what was there originally.

Yes i understood that. As you can figure out yourself now, this is a dangerous thing...

> So the .bak file is your one option. Failing that, any backup of your
> own you made. (You *do* back up your home directory regularly, right?

Yes, but my last backup is from 2017, April 11. But then gain, i did not change the passwords since April 11. I sent other mails regarding that, but in short, those passwords do not work anymore. And i really don't know what's going on here. Is it possible they get re-encrypted at some time, maybe when you change anything else in the account (like switch from STARTTLS to SSL or so) ? Or in the process of down- and re-upgrade ? Like, some claws key/Cert has changed ? What if the mailbox providers cert change, could it trigger re-encryption ?