[Users] Moving from Mac Mail to Claws

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon May 1 18:58:50 CEST 2017

On Mon, 1 May 2017 12:42:49 +0100, John Pollard <john at pollardweb.com>
wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am a Mac user and developer of software that is deployed to Linux.
> I am looking at Ubuntu as an alternative to Mac for everything and so
> far am very impressed with what is available. Switching from Mac Mail
> to an Ubuntu email client could be a sticking point. Claws seems like
> a good bet from what I have read and I have had a play. I am
> concerned about searches:
>
> I can see in Quick Search, Extended, I can do B mystring to search
> within one email account. But is there a way to search across
> multiple email accounts at in a single search. Mac Mail handles this
> very well by default.
>
> Edit, Search Folder… let’s me search Body (for example), but it seems
> only in the mailbox I am currently viewing, not all mailboxes at the
> same time.
>
> Searching an inbox of just 700 messages (imap accounts) in Claws for
> body text took many seconds. Searching body text over 1,000’s of
> emails takes minutes. On Mac Mail I can search 100,000+ message
> bodies  in a second.
>
> Are Linux email clients just a long way behind Mac Mail in these
> respects - am I expecting too much?
>
> Many thanks for any input.
>
> John

Searching text in message bodies isn't Claws' long suit. I suspect but
can't prove that even when you issue a search like the following:

~D & al 20 & b beginner

it takes forever, and I suspect it's searching all messages for
"beginner" in the body, not just the not-deleted emails less than 20
days old.[1]

If I were a one issue voter and that issue were Claws Mail, I for
certain wouldn't be using Claws. But Claws-Mail has what I believe to
be the best mix of features.

[1] I store my messages in my local IMAP server,  so body searches must
go through IMAP, and that can't be fast. Your mileage may be different
with true local folders.

SteveT