[Users] Please revert "make Go to/[Next|Prev] sort order aware"

Olivier Brunel jjk at jjacky.com
Mon Mar 27 13:15:47 CEST 2017

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:02:44 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> The sort order for display is something independent of the order I
> want to read messages. They are two separate orderings.

Okay, so I think that's a valid point and maybe source of something:
whether the "next" message refers to next in the list, and therefore
sort order matters (but there's no need to "account" for it, it just
means going down the list), or whether it refers the messages, and
their dates, regardless of the list current sort order.

Obviously, I think of it as referring to the list, by going to the next
message I mean going down the list, whatever (yet accounting for) its
current sort order might be.

On the other hand, you seem to think of it as referring to the next
message, as in older one, next by date no matter the sort order of the
list.

(Note however that that's not what you actually get now: it just goes
up the list for the next message if descendingly, but still accounts for
the sort order, which might be by size, subject, etc)

So maybe this needs to be clarified, or option-based, yes. Or just two
different feature: next (unread/marked/etc) message on list, and next
message (by date, regardless of sort order).