[Users] Archive plugin und usage

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sat Mar 11 22:51:58 CET 2017

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 12:39:41 +0100
Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 12:30:03 +0100
> Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw at ithnet.com> wrote:
>
> > you got that right, this was exactly what I meant. It does not really sound
> > too complicated to me, I would probably as a first step evaluate
> > "archivemount" which can  - according to docs - mount archives via fuse
> > (probably as read-only fs). If the archive contained everything needed for
> > a MH mailbox it should work right away, not?
> >
> I do not know archive mount but the archive is a true one-to-one copy
> of a mail folder so it works out-of-the-box. I have done this from time
> to time.

Ok, I tried this with the utility "archivemount". The tool ist great and easy
to use. But the archives must be created somewhat different. Now they contain
the complete path of the mh folder. But it would be useful if they did not
contain any folder structure at all, but only the archived files. This way one
could mount the archive read-only into the existing mh folder tree (lets say
into a folder/directory called "my-archive" and probably claws-mail would be
able to read/process the folder iff it is able to cope with a read-only
directory at all.
It looks all very trivial to me and should be doable with few additional
folder options. If one could say something is an archive-folder claws-mail
could mount all archives inside this folder into equally named subfolders
(e.g. archive "incoming-upto-2016.tar.bz2" is mounted as subfolder
"incoming-upto-2016"). Claws-mail does only

mkdir "incoming-upto-2016"
archivemount incoming-upto-2016 incoming-upto-2016.tar.bz2 -o readonly

That's it. On exit it simply kills all archivemount processes and the mounts
are gone.

That would be brilliant. How can we do that?

--
Regards,
Stephan