[Users] Reporting bugs (was: Re: not showing html email)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jun 20 06:08:05 CEST 2017

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 09:51:16 -0600, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:04:27 +0200
> Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:
>
> > > Because writting the report in a text editor while waiting is a so
> > > crazy idea...
> >
> > Yes, since many bug systems present some sort of form that needs to
> > be filled in the way they require it, making your tediously written
> > report useless.
>
> There is an add-on for Firefox called "It's All Text!". One  thing it
> lets you do is edit a text box in your favorite text editor. I use
> emacs, e.g.
>
> So if you already have a "tediously written report", you can copy and
> paste within the same editor.
>
> All of that report is potentially useful. The more you provide, the
> merrier; let the developer separate the wheat from the chaff.

I never use Firefox because it's so hangy, but I opened it,
menu->addons->getAddons->seeMoreAddons, used Ctrl+F to search for the
word "text", and found only one: Something about CSS.

Hoops jumped, time spent, task not addressed.

I'm not yelling at you charlescurley, you were just trying to help and
told us about what could have been very handy in a lot of situations
with proper training. Thank you for doing that.

What I'm saying is this is one more illustration of all the hoops to
jump through because of this slavish fascination with bug trackers.

Somebody in this thread associated bug trackers with a "template" for
describing bugs. That's really the point, isn't it. Templates are
useful only if they're freeform enough to allow the user to tell his
observations, which usually differ in form from the anticipated form.

The "templates" for bug trackers feel the same to me as the "scripts"
used by tier 1 tech support.

SteveT