[Users] Reporting bugs (was: Re: not showing html email)

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jun 17 21:54:37 CEST 2017

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:04:27 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:07:52 +0200, Ricardo Mones wrote:
>> > * wait for the mail to arrive
>> >   (At this point I usually continue with other things I need to
>> > do, and forget about the issue alltogether)
>>
>> Because writting the report in a text editor while waiting is a so
>> crazy idea...
>
>Yes, since many bug systems present some sort of form that needs to be
>filled in the way they require it, making your tediously written report
>useless.

Hi :)

Could you provide an example? I report a lot of bugs to different
bugtrakers and I'm not aware of something like this.

Sure, if you open a new report for Claws you get some help, so you need
to select a few minor things from selection boxes.

1.

First, you must pick a product on which to enter a bug:

Claws Mail:  	Claws Mail - it bites! The lightweight, and fast email client and newsreader. Supports POP3, APOP, IMAP, SMTP, SMTP AUTH, NNTP, LDAP. Features multiple accounts, spell-checking, address book, SSL, GPG/PGP, filtering, scoring, i18n, & more
Claws Mail (Windows):  	Windows-specific bugs
clawsker:  	Hidden preferences editor for Claws Mail
Themes:  	All issues relating to themes.
Website:  	Bugs on claws-mail.org

2.

Component: If you should have got no clue, simply select "other", a
coder could correct this later.

3.

Usually the defaults don't need to be changed.

Severity: normal
Hardware: PC
OS:       Linux

4.

Version: of Claws

5.

6.

IOW you could always write the steps how to reproduce the issue and
things like this by an editor while you are waiting fr the
confirmation mail. If you should mention the version of Claws and the OS
by your description, you anyway could just copy and paste from the
editor to the bugzilla form. You don't need to remove this information
from the description, just because selection boxes also provide this
information.

Btw. I'm not against writing to the mailing list before reporting a
bug. Regarding the kind of issue the OP experienced, in this case, it
IMO was worth to write a bug report. It was a friendly hint, not an
aggressive kind of RTFM alike scorn. You (especially Steve) should
assume good faith first, this is common netiquette.

However, seemingly there's more interest to make mountains out of
molehills, since

- the developers actually tried to clarify the issue by
  the mailing list

- but even if they wouldn't have done so, reporting a bug isn't really
  hard to do (excepted of very far-fetched arguments).

This is a redundant discussion. _Nobody_ gets forced to report a bug!
If it is that unpleasant to report a bug to the bugtracker, then simply
don't do it. You are free to report it to the mailing list. You make a
problem, where actually no problem is.

Regards,
Ralf