[Users] Reporting bugs (was: Re: not showing html email)

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Fri Jun 16 13:48:26 CEST 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:39:16AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:04:11 +0200, Ralf Mardorf
> <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 08:35:15 -0400, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> > >Went to bugzilla, will not accept my email as username, so unable to
> > >log in and post.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > did you first create an account at
> > http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/createaccount.cgi ?
>
> Does a user really have to jump through all these  hoops to report and
> discuss a bug?

I count one, where are the rest of "hoops" you're talking about?

> Does that encourage people to report bugs, or does it encourage them
> from working around the bugs or switching to different software?

True. Clause which applies depend on the person.

> If a person uses 20 different Free Software programs, do you really
> expect him to create and maintain 20 different bugzilla user/password
> pairs?

Do you use the user/password of your bank for your electricity company?
for your car insurance company? for any of your online shopping accounts?

Fortunately here you can use a FOSS distribution, they usually have
centralized bug report systems. But if you want to do it yourself,
you're on your own, like in real life.

> Do you value user feedback, or do you view a bug report as an annoyance?

True. Clause which applies depend on the bug report content.

> If the answers to the preceding questions are all yes (to the first
> clause of the question), then this question:
>
> Are you making it as easy as possible for the person to report the bug
> in a project approved way?

No, because the as easy as possible means bugzilla spammers will also
have it easy, and that's not acceptable. You have to set some barrier to
separate spam from reports. If some reporter doesn't find such minimal
requirement acceptable could use any distro reporting system, bug will
end in bugzilla at some point.

regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones