[Users] automatically changing From address

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Thu Jun 8 23:00:32 CEST 2017

On Wed, 24 May 2017 13:37:27 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2017 12:59:38 +0100
> Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I get all the mail sent to my domain, and frequently use unique mail
> > addresses when communicating with firms (e.g. I might have
> > subscribed here using claws-mail at howorth.org.uk). When they send me
> > mail, they do so to these unique addresses, but if I reply to the
> > mail it is sent from my main address. I'd like it to be sent from
> > the unique address instead. Presently I do this by editing the From
> > line manually, but is it possible to do this automatically? i.e.
> > Use the To address as the
> > >From address when replying to mail?
> >
> > Some organizations that don't understand how things work insist on
> > mail coming from the 'correct' address. :(
>
> If you filter these messages into their respective folders, you can
> use the Folder templates.
>
> Right click the folder, choose Properties, choose the Templates page,
> and then use %t as the From value.

This works well, as I mentioned previously, but I've just noticed an
unwanted side-effect. When I choose to use a reply template for a
folder, the default template is empty, whereas a normal, un-templated
reply defaults to containing the quoted original message, which is what
I'm used to and would like.

Now I know that I can edit the template to have the same instructions,
but I have to do that for every individual template that I set. Is
there any way to do it once and have it apply everywhere?

Cheers, Dave